Ticks & Lyme Disease Awareness
Ticks prefer damp woodland or grassland areas, exactly the sort of areas that we may foray. The Cotswolds is not an area where ticks are overly abundant, but they are present.
Ticks have the potential to carry and transmit Lyme Disease. It is not common, the vast majority of tick bites do not result in infection. However, an infection affects the skin and occasionally causes serious illness.
The following links contain what you need to know, but there is a lot more information available on the internet.
General Tick advice for Forayers
- Avoid being bitten in the first place by wearing a long-sleeved shirt and long trousers.
- Tuck your trousers into your socks or boots, or wear gaiters.
- Use insect repellent (Deet).
- Check yourself, and your clothing, for ticks after a foray.
- If you do have a tick then remove it as soon as possible in the correct way.